Monday, August 10, 2009

Casual Religion

The following is simply my view and opinions and
is not meant to be critical or judgemental..

I am so old school.....but I am not blind or
deaf ....

I truly struggle with the contemporary
world we've become. I know in many
instances the changes that have come
are good and some church communities
thrive with their contemporary programs.

For me I liked old time religion when
we didn't have to struggle to "have" church.
People looked forward to going. The whole
congregation meeting together, coming before
the Lord with Praise and Worship in one accord.

I liked when we showed respect for one another and
children showed respect for their elders.

I liked it when our young adults felt they could benefit
from mixing with the older members at church, and didn't
have to meet separate from the body. I am not against
small groups, I think they can play a vital role in church
growth and education...but they should be in
addition too not in replace of church.

I liked it when our whole body came back to
church on Sunday evening for services, not
just the skeleton crew.


I recently read this statement by -Tom Sirotnak-
Christians who begin to treat Jesus casually
often become casualties.

What do you think have we become too casual
with our spiritual lives and views?...I would love to hear....

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you whole-heartedly! I want to be able to attend church worship services on Sunday and be excited about the Lord.

    Small group Bible Studies serve a great purpose. However, could it be that we become too casual after having several group sessions and the group can tend to lose it's focus on Bible Study and become a social gathering instead?

    We have Sunday School for Bible Study for age appropriate classes that require teachers. During Sunday morning worship service we have the kids go to Kid's Time which requires workers. Nursery workers are needed during Sunday School and Sunday morning worship.

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we, the church members, could meet and worship together on Sunday nights. We are told in Scripture to "assemble together". We as Christians can sharpen each other as iron sharpens iron when we meet together. Iron can only sharpen iron when it comes in contact with it.

    When we get to heaven we will be praising our Lord continually. Is it so difficult to spend more than a few hours a week encouraging each other in the Lord?

    ReplyDelete