Monday, September 14, 2009

In the Valley

I love the 23rd Psalm, it never grows old
to me. I've returned to the comfort of it's words
so many times in my life and each time it speaks
to my heart and consoles me.

I think for most readers of this Psalm we think of
the valleys we walk through. What of Jesus and the
dark valley of His earthly life.
How alone He must have felt, like us He
must have felt like a lost sheep. How wonderful to
know that Jehovah was His Shepherd and comforter
through all of His trials here on this earth.

I think this Psalm helps to remind us that as lambs
we must let the Shepherd fight for us. That His rod
and staff will always beat back the powers that try
to come against us in our daily walk.
Our fight should be the "good fight of faith". As
long as we keep the Lord as our Shepherd we can
expect the same goodness, comfort and mercy
this Psalm speaks of "all the days of our lives".

2 comments:

  1. Good One!! Psalm 27 is one of my favorites. "The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear? the Lord is the strength of my life: of whom shall I be afraid?

    And like Psalm 23:6; Psalm 27:4 says "One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord 'all the days of my life', to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to enquire in his temple"

    And, of course, Psalm 27:14 "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord". I use this one many times to slow myself down because I tend to step ahead of God. I have to be reminded to "wait on the Lord".

    This is GOOD STUFF. How wonderful it is to feast on God's Word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard one time on a radio program an old life-long shepherd explain sheep will not lie down unless four requirements are met.

    1. No friction (if something is up against them, they will not lay down.)

    2. No fear (if they are worried or concerned, they will not lay down.)

    3. Necessary food (if they are hungry, they will not lay down.)

    4. Necessary flock (if they aren't with their flock, they won't lay down with a shepherd.)


    I think it's amazing Jesus provides for all these needs and more.

    ReplyDelete